An eventful morning at Clarence House


If you have ever had a member of the Royal Family presented in front of you without prior warning, you will know it is a bit of a daunting experience.

This happened to me today while covering an event at Clarence House.

The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince of Wales hosted a small gathering to thank a group of celebrities who have been ambassadors for the Diamond Champions scheme they patron.

The scheme, run by the WRVS, works to recognise the work done by volunteers over the age of 60 around the country.


Royal events are usually quite small and intimate, you get a closeness to the Royal Family that you otherwise would never have the chance of.

So I am standing in the Garden Room at Clarence house as the ambassadors are shown in.

Patricia Routledge, Kate Adie, Gloria Hunniford, Phillip Schofield, and Kimberley Walsh (pop singer), and Denise Robertson.

Phillip Schofield looks over and spies me.  “Nathan,” he shouts, “What are you doing here, there’s a heat spike outside!”

Of course the joke being that our paths usually cross on This Morning when I am doing weather.

It was actually a bit odd to be on the other side of the interview couch (and by the way thank you Phillip for really giving me a lot of your time today).

Anyway, he comes over and I explain that as a Daily Express reporter, I cover more than the weather.

But he is talking about snow and “Where’s the summer then? hmmm, hmmm?!”

We have a chat before he heads back to the crowd, which at this point as been joined by Prince Charles and the Duchess.

They mingle and I stand to the side, making sure I am not in any way obtrusive to the goings on.


Later I meet up with Phillip again for a more formal interview about his role with Diamond Champions, and head we out into the garden for photo calls.

Now usually the press hang with the photographers and wait for various one-to-one interviews as the celebs mingle.

But this is where it gets interesting.

To my astonishment I see the chief executive of the WRVS heading in my direction with Camilla

My mind starts racing, what do I say?? Do I bow? Curtsey? Nod? Kneel....agghhh!!! I have been given no Royal instruction.

“Think quicker than you have ever thought in your life Nathan,” my inner voice advises.

In seconds I am presented to the Duchess of Cornwall.

“This is Nathan from the Daily Express who is doing a wonderful job highlighting the Diamond Champions,” says the chief exec.

Do not offer hand, I think to myself, that is what you do when you are meeting commoners.

“Delighted to meet you ma’am” I said, immediately thinking, “that isn’t right??!” “Mam, as in ham – no that’s the Queen” Oh God, maybe I should have just said “Hello”.

“Nathan does not volunteer at the moment,” continues WRVS chief exec, “but he has told me he is going to start”.

It was true, I had told her a bit earlier while extolling the wonderful work done by the WRVS volunteers that I wouldn’t mind making a contribution to society.

“That is wonderful,” says Her Royal Highness, “And delighted to meet you too.”

Now, when I am stressed, I babble, and I also crack jokes – not wise in royal company.

“I suppose if YOU tell me I have to volunteer I don’t have much choice in the matter your  highness,” I laugh.

Give her her due, and she is very down to earth, she agreed, and gave a chuckle.

I took it to mean I have now been given a Royal order to do some volunteering.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another sour and yawn-inducing offering from Tabloid Watch

Jedward spotted in the city, but what were they up to?

Jimmy Savile - Stranger Danger