I know I shouldn't be telling you this but...


Have you ever experienced that awful feeling of guilt after you’ve spilt the beans on someone when deep down know you should have kept your trap shut.

I know it’s coming even as  I feel myself saying, in a hushed tone, “strictly between you and me..”.

Of course I know damn well it will not be “strictly between you and me” any more than it was strictly between me and the person who told it to me.


But that doesn’t do anything to override the irresistible urge to let loose a bit of juicy scandal.

What is it about gossip that makes it so impossible to keep under wraps?

Sometimes it is better just not knowing some red-hot tidbit of info about someone, instead of being let into the secret but told to keep a lid on it.

And the worst condition set by a potential spragger about to let you in on something is "I'll tell you but you have to promise it will go no further."

Yep - I promise.

Actually, I am probably doing myself a bit of an injustice, as I am not really that bad.

I admit, my ears do prick up when I hear people talking under their breath, especially if I catch the name of someone I know. And I don’t think I am alone in that.

But when I have been told not to repeat something, I usually don’t, however much it burns in my jaw to spit it out.

My sudden interest in this subject was sparked by a bit of  research which arrived in my inbox today.

Apparently  office workers spend almost two years of their working lives gossiping.

Each day that is an average of 27 minutes and 47 seconds – which sounds quite a lot when you think about it.

Personally, I think it is good to have a bit of banter in the office, there is nothing worse than working somewhere surrounded by deathly silence for the eight-plus hours of the day you spend there.

And gossip doesn’t have to be malicious, apparently our favourite subjects are family, television and sport.

Personally, I think the weather comes quite high up on the list.

But nothing beats ear wigging a bit of scandal about someone, even though we know we shouldn’t.




Comments

  1. "A VIOLENT superstorm capable of causing NATIONWIDE devastation is smashing into Britain. "
    What prick wrote this headline? Oh yes I should have guessed, the fucking idiot Nathan Rao. You could almost laugh, except that there will be vulnerable and elderly people who will read it and be in fear because they believe what they read in the newspapers.
    Little do they realise that these headlines are invented by sycophantic idiots (or should that just be sycos?) like Rao, to sell their scummy newspapers. Unfortunately as the slimy owners of the Express refuse to sign up to the PCC, we cannot even make a formal complaint.
    People like Rao are simply scum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another sour and yawn-inducing offering from Tabloid Watch

Jedward spotted in the city, but what were they up to?

Is it racist to mark St George's day?- Ricky Gervais thinks some may think so