London Marathon marred by tragedy - can this really be good for you?


Thousands had fun either taking part in or cheering on the runners in Sunday’s London Marathon.

I was at the side of the road clapping, cheering and shouting encouragement while thanking God that once again I didn’t get round to entering.

Among the cheery souls passing  the 17-mile post were more than a few genuinely exhausted faces, contorted in pain.



One man stopped for a breather before collapsing on the street clutching his leg in agony.

A few moments later a St John Ambulance crew rushed past carrying a stretcher with a woman who appeared to be unconscious.

A little bit later an older looking man collapsed in the street before being dragged out of the way by a burly policeman.

Many returned my “go on, nearly there!!!”s with “Don’t ever do this”.


 Don’t worry, I won’t.

It’s not just the amateurs who take a hammering running the distance.

Last year I watched the elite of the running world leap past the finishing line before doubling over and heaving 26.2 miles worth of carbohydrate gels and energy drinks over the pavement.

If that’s not the body saying it’s not happy then I don’t know what is.

Most emerge unscathed, apart from a few blisters and aching muscles,  but this year’s  London Marathon was marred by  tragedy.

Thirty-year-old Claire Squires (below), from Leicestershire collapsed on Birdcage Walk, which borders St James Park, on the final stretch of the course.

She was given medical attention by paramedics but died at the scene. She had been raising money for The Samaritans.


Before the race there had been no indication of health problems,  and compared to a lot of people who stagger round the course she was relatively fit and healthy.

Deaths are not common, but the fact they happen proves running almost 30 miles without a break puts a serious strain on the human body.

Ms Squires is the 10th runner to die during the event since the first marathon in 1981. Five were because of heart disease competitors were unaware of. 

Four of these were cases of severe coronary heart disease. The last competitor to die was a 22-year-old fitness instructor in 2007.

It strikes me as surprising that to make a minor change in your diet you are advised to consult your GP, but if you want to put your heart through serious stress for up to and above five hours you can just turn up and do it.


There are no fitness checks and no health assessments, not even for  runners who choose to heave rhino costumes, diving suits or fridges on their backs.

I did a half marathon a few years ago after little training  above my daily 10k runs.

After 11 miles I felt seriously ill, faint, and had difficulty catching my breath. That night there were a few occasions I though I was going to pass out.

Although I was pleased to have finished, I realised that level of endurance running was not for me.

I am convinced that level of endurance is not really for anyone, and have no problem saying although I still run four times a week, I would not run the London Marathon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another sour and yawn-inducing offering from Tabloid Watch

Jedward spotted in the city, but what were they up to?

Is it racist to mark St George's day?- Ricky Gervais thinks some may think so